About the Isle of Arran
The Isle of Arran, or Scotland in Miniature as it is often known, is a magical place that draws people back year after year. It is famous for its beauty and variety of scenery, from the stunning coastline to the mountains in the north and has a mild climate resulting from its location on the Gulf Stream. Arran is a walkers' paradise and a golfers' dream!
History and Geography
Arran has many historical places all over the island - the King’s Cave at Blackwaterfoot, the Standing Stones at Machrie, the Giant’s Grave at Whiting Bay, the Chambered Tomb at Torlin, Kilmory, Brodick Castle, Lochranza Castle, our own Kildonan Castle, to name but a few, all worth a visit.
There are numerous walks ranging from easy to difficult, 5 minutes to 5 hours.
Climb Goatfell (874 metres) to take in the spectacular views, follow the newly-finished King's Cave Loop in Machrie or stroll on Blackwaterfoot beach and watch the sun setting over Kintyre.
The Arran Coastal Way stretches approximately 100km, encircling the Island.
Many ancient and some newly-created paths follow the shore and cater for all abilities, some suitable for wheelchairs.
You can download walks on your phone walkinghighlands.co.uk or buy the pocket book of walks at the Book and Card shop in Brodick.
Arran is a haven for wildlife.
Some animals/birds to look out for:
Red Deer, Red Squirrel, Hare, Pheasant,
Badger, Otter, Adder, Grey Seal, Basking Shark,
Raven, Barn Owl, Oystercatcher, Shelduck, Hen Harrier,
Golden Eagle, Ringed Plover, Buzzard, Peregrine
Wildflowers are found wherever you look - along roadsides, on hillsides and skirting thebeach:
Red Campion, Thrift, Cottongrass, Meadowsweet, Grass of Parnassus,
Thistle, Iris, Ragged Robin, to name but a few.
- Play golf on all 7 courses
- Horse riding/ pony trekking
- Cycling/Off road biking
- Climb Goatfell/The Witch’s Step
- Walk the Coastal Way
- Playbarn for young kids
- Mogabout 4x4 Safari
- Adventure playground - Brodick Castle
- Quad Biking
- Visit Art Galleries and Craft Shops
- Water Sports
- Gorge walking
- Rib rides with Ocean Breeze Tours
- Try a “Taste of Arran” at the many restaurants
- Arran Distilleries - Lagg and Lochranza
- Arran Brewery
- Arran Aromatics
- Arran Provisions
- Auchrannie Spa Resort
- Brodick Castle and Gardens
- COAST - Octopus centre Lamlash - Marine Protected Area visitor centre
- Adventure playground at Brodick Castle
- Heritage Museum
- Various festivals, live music and local events
" Must See" Places
- Glenashdale Falls, Whiting Bay
- Eas Mor Falls, Kildonan
- Loch Garbad, Kildonan
- Black Cave, Bennan Head
- Drumadoon Point, Blackwaterfoot
- Holy Isle, Lamlash
- Goatfell, Brodick
- Fallen Rocks, Sannox
- “12 Apostles”, Catacol
- Corrie Lochan, Thunderguy
- Glen Rosa, Brodick
- Kings cave, Blackwaterfoot
- Standing Stones, Machrie